Wednesday, November 17, 2010

AGE-A STATE OF MIND

Age is a funny thing. I have been meaning to write about this for a while now since I end up having a discussion with my friends about the whole ‘age’ thing quite a bit. The thing I find so funny about ‘age’ is that just because a person is fifty years old it doesn’t necessarily mean the person is wise unlike the clichés that say ‘the older you get, the wiser you are’ or something to that effect. For me the numbers don’t matter and when I talk to someone or become friends with someone I don’t care how old the person is, as long as we find some common ground and get along.
I know a lot of people who have hang-ups about ‘age’. They think that just because a person is younger or older than they are, they cannot have a decent conversation with them since they belong to a different generation. These people are extremely condescending and think that if a person is younger than they are, they cannot have anything in common and even if they do, a decent conversation is highly improbable. And a younger person thinks that since the older person is, well old, even though they may have many things in common, the latter is too old fashioned to really understand.
I disagree with them since some of the most interesting conversations I have had are with fifteen year olds and forty five year olds. Age has nothing to do with getting along with a person and I hate people who cannot look past that. I don’t like talking to people like that and tend to avoid them as much as possible. I am going to borrow this line from one of my closest friends who incidentally is also my uncle- ’Age is just a state of mind and has nothing to do with numbers’. I totally agree!

No comments: