Thursday, April 22, 2010

MUSIC


















'Music washes away from the soul, the dust of everyday life’  
I love this quote and everything that it signifies. A very dear friend of mine who also incidentally re-introduced me to ‘The Beatles’ a few years ago sent me this quote which she had read somewhere.
 What would the world have been like without music? I for one cannot begin to imagine what my life would have been like had there been no music in it. My love for music maybe stems from the fact that my dad loves music too, as a result of which I was introduced to it at a very young age. Even today, songs by Cat Stevens, Jethro Tull, Neil Diamond, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits and many more remind me of my dad. I tend to associate songs with people and whenever I think of the person I listen to the song and vice-versa. Music can get me through my sad times, make me even happier in the good times and just about gets me through every phase in my life. I think of my mother when I listen to ‘New kid in town’ by The Eagles because she once told me it was one of her favourite songs growing up and my brother and I have dedicated ‘Witchy Woman’ to my mother just to get her goat.
Many songs have lyrics that are so apt that you feel like the song has been written about you or for you! My favourite uncle has also for years played me songs that hold significance to his life or to mine and these songs today remind me of the wonderful times we have had.  A few years ago, I stayed with a friend of my parents for a considerable amount of time and I must say he played a very big part in introducing me to music from the seventies and eighties. The most touching moment of my whole stay was when on the very last day he took his family and me out for dinner to a restaurant that had a band playing old English numbers. Halfway through the meal he went up to them and requested they play a particular song that he dedicated to me. The song was ‘Teach your Children’ by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young and the lyrics of the song were enough to tell me how he felt.

You who are on the road
Must have a code that you can live by
And so become yourself
Because the past is just a good bye.
Teach your children well,
Their father's hell did slowly go by,
And feed them on your dreams
The one they picked, the one you'll know by.
Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.
And you, of tender years,
Can't know the fears that your elders grew by,
And so please help them with your youth,
They seek the truth before they can die.


All my life, I have had people who have improved my ‘Music Education’ as my friend and I liked to call it back in college. Every special person in my life has in someway or the other added to my music education and the songs that I listen to will continue to remind me of them.

5 comments:

malted socktail said...

so true!
i feel every bit of what u said apart from that i wasnt introduced to music from my folks but the rest, oh the rest
simple :) love ur style

Nina C said...

thanks Mr malted socktail..you are the one that pushed me to write again..so big thank you!:)

Unknown said...

Please write more often now! :) I love the Post...Let the Music play forever and ever...:) :)

spoovaya said...

Good stuff! The thinking of things, the singing of songs, the meeting of the madness - it are of an awesome!

Nitya said...

Good stuff!! and as always, let the music take control :)